Addition Update, Dog Days Edition

In late July I was able to get back to work on the addition trim-out after an unplanned 2-month hiatus while my thumb healed. Yesterday I finished the guardrail for the entrance ramp (still needs a final coat of paint, though):


It is our own design. We were pleased that we were finally able to make use of the two newel posts that were originally used on the front porch of the main house (we did, though, have to make liberal use of Bondo in refurbishing them). We were also able to make use of some railing parts left over from our 2011 veranda replacement project — a lower rail plus a two-part upper rail that minimize nail/screw head exposure, made of mahogany to last:

Measuring and scribing the rail ends was a pain. You see the curve here in this pic of the pocket I made on the underside of the bottom rail to attach it to the fiberglass support post with a toggle bolt:

Each of the three panels is made up of six PVC 1x8s. After cutting them to approximate length I ran them four at a time through the table saw to cut the half-diamonds. Next, I cut them to exact length at an angle to match the bottom rail. (BTW, it was during this step that I cut my thumb.) Then a coat of primer and a coat of white gloss. Next, still down in the shop, I screwed the bottom rail to the boards using GRK trim screws (love ’em!):

Blocks and clamps assisted with attaching the top rail and final placement.

Comments are closed.