Well, shortly after my post on Monday, trucks began arriving, delivering the ICF units that will be used for our foundation/basement walls. There are a lot of them piled up all over.
Monday they also put in the front foundation drain and tidied up the grade inside the foundation. Yesterday was rainy and therefore contractor-free. Today more gravel is being delivered for use as backfill and under the basement floor.
Plus, the windows we had ordered from Lowe’s arrived on Saturday, they have been stored in the cellar (with the large patio door under the veranda.)
Oh, and I ordered the two garage doors (one 8′ wide and one 6′ wide) today from Home Depot, they were 15% off, and the Lowe’s doors did not allow windows in the narrower 6′ door, among other things.
Well, we finally dealt with the 3 pallets of concrete block that have been sitting the side yard since November. Early last autumn while we were getting the gardens ready for winter, we started brainstorming on a better way to user our side garden area. It was a long, sloped garden that always seemed to get away from us over the course of the growing season. We decided to break it up into a series of level lots by terracing. We looked at several more attractive options, but the cost seemed out of whack, so went went with our tried-and-true dry-stacked grey concrete blocks (aka “cinder blocks” or CMUs), capped with red concrete pavers. We (somewhat optimistically) went ahead and ordered the blocks in November, hoping that we would get our usual periods of decent weather in December and January, but that did not happen.
We just got the plots done over last weekend, and I spent Monday hauling compost from the compost into them, and moving piles of compost-to-be (aka cleaning out the goat shed.) We have a system that works well for us. In the picture to the right you see that I ended the day with two compost piles, the darker one on the left and the lighter one on the right. The lighter one is the bedding that I pushed out of the goat shed — a year’s worth of uneaten hay and goat berries. This started composting in place, giving the goats underfloor heating all winter. It has now been stirred, and the goats (and dogs) will play on it and trample it down. Next spring (or maybe in the fall, depending on conditions) I will move it over to the side for a second round of stirring and trampling — the dark pile you see is last year’s cleanout. The previous second-year pile is what I just put on the new garden plots.
This coming weekend I am going to plant the 12 tomato plants I bought a month ago and have been nursing in little pots, hardening them off. I will get them in the ground this weekend (only a few days our May 15th frost date), using my new and improved cattle panel trellising system.